I Hope To Be Just Like You One Day

 A few months ago, my son learned how to wave hello. At first, he would just wave when I waved at him, but now he waves all the time at everyone. He waves goodbye to his daycare friends when one of us picks him up. He waves goodnight to his daddy before bed. He waves at puppies and cars and people in the grocery store and he smiles at them all too.

I think what I love most about my son's constant waving, other than the fact that it's totally adorable, is the fact that so many others smile and wave back. It really makes his smile grow from a polite grin to a full on giggle. Now some don't wave back. Sometimes the person doesn't see him because they're looking in another direction. Sometimes they're on their phone. Sometimes they do see him, but don't wave back and my inner mom monologue says, "What the heck! WAVE TO MY KID! HE'S A BABY!!" Maybe strangers think it's weird to wave to a kid they don't know.

Either way, Zac never seems bothered by the ones who don't wave back. It doesn't ever stop him from continuing to smile and say hi to the people we pass. If they don't wave back, he just moves on. If they do, they get a huge smile along with a wave. He's not shy about it at all.

Sometimes, I wish I could be like that. I wish I could be bold enough to express what's on my heart, without fear of being judged or rejected. How many strangers have smiled one more time because my sweet boy waved hello? How many people has my son shined a light on that hadn't had a very bright day up until that point?

We are called "the light of the world". We are supposed to let our light shine before others in a way that brings glory to God. We aren't supposed to be shy or hidden about it. We're supposed to be "a city set on a hill." How many times have I had a word for someone, but didn't tell them because I was unsure of how it would be received? How many times have I needed prayer, but didn't ask because I lacked boldness? We don't light a lamp and then put in under a basket. We put it on a stand so that it can give light to everyone in the house. (Matthew 5: 14-16)

I'm being honest when I say this is still something I'm learning. It's still something I have to overcome, but thankfully, I have a precious little boy that constantly reminds me what it means to be a light.






Hugs,
Destiny

Comments

  1. My beautiful princess, I wish you could remember how you felt when you would wave and smile at everyone. You always said hello to everyone. You had a beauty pageant wave. I always told you when you were young, always smile you never know how a simple smile can change a person's day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts