Not "Just" a Mom

Sometimes, I get really overwhelmed or dissatisfied with where I am in my journey. I see all these people I know who seem to have it all together and are living out the adventures I always dreamed up for myself. Then, I get brought down by the thought of, "Oh, you can't do that. You have Zachary." It's this lie that tries to convince me that I'm not allowed to have any fun ever again for the rest of my life because I have to take care of this other little human who depends on me for every single thing.

And no matter what I do, I always end up comparing myself to other people my age and what they're doing with their lives. Here I am, working a typical weekday job with typical weekday hours, driving the most popular family vehicle around my typical young family neighborhood. I'm just a run-of-the-mill teacher/mom/wife with ordinary chores and expectations and duties. All these other "special" people are traveling across the country or world and influencing all these far away people and really experiencing life. How they make me feel so small.

Then, this cycles into feelings of ungratefulness for the life I've been called to. I mean, who can really be any good for the kingdom when I can't "go off and spread the good news" because I have to be home before my son's 7:30 bedtime? This ungratefulness has me thinking, "If only I didn't have a child yet," or "If only I had a better paying, less stressful job" or less debt. Or a fuller savings account. Or or or... If only.

Today, Jesus reminded me that I'm not doomed to live a life that is mundane and ordinary. Today, I was laying across my bed and thinking about the promise that God made to me for a life of abundance. I remembered that I am not "just" anything. I am the daughter of a King. He has spoken grand plans over me. He has big dreams for me. Even in my little town, I have been given abundance. He does not call me "regular" or "typical". He doesn't call me ordinary. He calls me Beloved Daughter and He has an inheritance for me in Heaven.

The dreams He dreams he has for me are big dreams. Even if I can't see them, they are still in His plan. And it's not just me, he dreams big for all of us! All we have to do is abide in Him, y'all. He is the vine.

God, I confess to you that I don't always believe this about myself. The day-to-day routine can sometimes become suffocating and can cloud the greatness you have called me for. I get tired and doubtful and bogged down in the mess of regularity. Change my perspective, Lord. Help me to remember that each day is a new opportunity to realize your dreams for me, to seek You and the abundant life you promise your children.

For all my mama friends, I hope you never think of yourself as "just" a mom. I hope you remember that the Lord has called you for wonderful, important, Kingdom work. I hope you remember that raising up the next generation of believers and is not "just" something anybody can do. Your babies are your ministry right now. To my not-a-mama friends, you are not regular or ordinary. You are royalty, the Sons and Daughters of a King. Y'all, he has called us for abundance. Seek His Kingdom. Abide in Him and He will give you the desires of your heart.





Hugs,
Destiny

Comments

Popular Posts